Friday, July 1, 2011

Finding My Rating System

I think most people would agree that there are many types of book readers. There are those who read books and that is all they do because the feeling of finishing a book is enough to satiate their book needs. There are also those few who devour a book, research the author, need to read everything else written by that author, and then MUST tell others about it. While there are many kinds of readers, I fall into that second group as I am sure others do, but does this need to spread book love transfer into the ability to write reviews?

As a reviewer your opinion may challenge others to go out and pick up a book that they were on the fence about or to walk away from an otherwise enticing book. The power to give a book a good or bad review should not be taken lightly, so I have started to put a lot of thought into just how to rate these books I read. Besides the written message of what I think about a book, there needs to be an easy way for someone to quickly see what I thought about each book. So, the same way I attack books I decided to dig into some "rating research" to help make me a better reviewer.

My findings:
  1. There are a lot of really good book blogs out there already, so I need something a little unique.
  2. It is important to have an easy to navigate site.
  3. You should have a review policy section and also a quick explanation of your ratings on your homepage.
  4. My book addiction is not at the intervention level, yet.
  5. Finally and most importantly, I found the way I wanted to show my rating.
The fun thing about the name O'Boyled Books is that it is a play on many different things, so when the idea for how I would rate the books came it just screamed that it was perfect. For those that do not know I love to cook. I enjoy having new recipes to try with new friends and when possible to throw dinner parties, usually themed. I decided to try and incorporate the cooking idea with the rating system. My first plan of small flames like on Hell's Kitchen just doesn't seem to fit me. I found these cute little coffee cups that I believe will work perfectly.

= The book was "O'Boyling" hot! A must read now!

= The book is just about "O'Boyling." I would recommend to others and keep in hopes of one day meeting the author.

= The book was "Simmering." There were some part that I really enjoyed. If in a series I probably would read the next one just in case it gets better.

= The book was "Just A Cup of Water." I could get more enjoyment else where. I wouldn't read again or recommend to others.

= The book reached its "Freezing" point. Either DNF (Did Not Finish) or want the time I wasted back.

Well, there you have it. My rating system. It will become more refined over time, but I am hopeful that it will be well received. To get back to the question as to whether I am qualified to review books or not, time will tell as it always does.

Michelle

Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment